[tlug] mlterm mojibake problem

Hi All

I've been poking at this for a while and don't know where to
go.  I have the gnu term and xterm/uxterm working fine with
Kanji -- mlterm is the only term with problems.

The local looks right to me -- just about everything is
en_US.UTF-8.  I selected utf8 encoding from the app's gui.
I didn't see a way to select a specific font in the gui.  I
suspect the key is in the config files under /etc/mlterm.
I've been looking at the /etc/mlterm/fonts file and don't
understand the syntax.  A typical line looks like
ISO10646_UCS4_1 =
-efont-fixed-medium-r-normal--%d-*-iso10646-1;13,-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-iso10646-1;18,-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-*-iso10646-1;

Man on this ap says it selects the font based on the locale.
 Is the ISO10646_UCS4_1 in the line above a font alias?  I
don't really know what a font alias is but have seen them
referenced in man pages.  There are about 6 fonts.alias
files on this system according to locate.

Does anyone know how mlterm selects its fonts?  What font
should I be using and where should it be entered?  From
xfontsel it looks like koichi-gothic or koichi-mincho would
be good selections.  What do you guys use?

Thanks
Steve S.