Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

On 7/20/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
I like the tape models for their price point, and the HDD high-def
models for their beautiful picture and nice storage media.

There is also flash memory - Panasonic has a video camera that uses 8GB SD cards (if I remember the ad I saw correctly). I was big on video with (analogue) Hi-8 in... I think it was 1990-91, but after burning out four cameras and three editing decks, I decided I couldn't afford it. I now realize I should have waited for digital to arrive! On the other hand, I have many hundreds of hours of tapes taken at a time when not so many people were taking videos, so maybe there's some anthropological value to that material....

Just to clarify, the camera *must* be able to work with Linux for
video capture.

I don't have a video camera at the moment, but just for the record, still digital cameras all transfer pictures easily enough (same as USB memory devices), and they all (the compact ones anyway, not SLR models) have movie modes, so if short video clips are okay, you might even consider getting a regular still camera and using its video mode. One of my cameras - the Lumix - takes fairly large videos (which create correspondingly large files).....

And for still cameras, one caveat for Ricoh.  The default setting on
the Ricoh cameras I've used so is for this automatic mode that
requires installation of their software, but all you have to do is get
into the settings of the camera and change "Original" to "Mass
storage" and then they (phew!) behave like USB memory devices.

Lyle