Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

> I am looking to buy a DV camera--three guesses as to why, and the
> first two do not count. ;)

Are you pregnant? You only need to watch the TV ads to see that "filming
our little darlings on sports day" is the main driver of camera sales.

> I like the tape models for their price point, and the HDD high-def
> models for their beautiful picture and nice storage media.

I've heard the HDD tapes are considerably more expensive. I like tapes
as they record in lossless AVI, whereas the hard disks are compressing
to mpeg. (However I think I may be silly on this point: the camera
quality is probably not good enough to notice a difference; a bit like 2
megapixel cameras phones that have low quality lenses.)

> 2. Can list members recommend a camera that they own and that works
> with Linux? (For capture, at least--editing is another issue.)

Panasonic NV-GS150 does. So did the Canon IXY-something I had before. I
have got the impression that the firewire interface for controlling
playback on the camera is standard, not manufacturer-specific. (I didn't
install any drivers.)

> 3. Can list members raise issues or features I should be concerned
> with when shopping?

If Bic offer you the 5 year guarantee in exchange for 5% points I think
it is good value. Our first camera went wrong after 4 years. (I bought a
new camera, then 6 months later stumbled across the 5 year guarantee -
you can imagine the mix of emotions!)

> 4. Any good sources for low prices? (I heard that Yamada Denki moved
> in right by the south exit at Ikebukuro Station and triggered a price
> war over there, so it is the best place in town to buy CE right now.)

Bic Camera seems to own half the real estate in Ikebukuro, so I wonder
how they let that happen!

Darren