Re: [tlug] Compression Comparison (WAS: Tip of the Day: "ghosting" a machine with nc and dd)

Daniel A. Ramaley さんは書きました:
On Tuesday 17 July 2007 14:01, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
Compressor     Compresssed             Time
              File Size
----------     ------------           --------
bzip2           146,586                0.914
bzip2 -9        146,586                0.868

These results rather surprised me, especially the comparison of bzip2
and bzip2 -9, so I decided to try it on another machine.

Did you perform the tests in the order you listed them? It is likely that the first run is slightly slower because the file has to be read from disk, whereas for subsequent tests it would be in cache. When testing speed i usually use files of at least a few hundred MB and/or take the average of several trials to reduce the effects of caching.
In general, compression ration and compression performance are trade-off.
The compression algorithms are different in gzip and bzip2.

Another thing is that the nature of the data to be compressed matters.
If you want to "benchmark" bzip2 and gzip, I would recommend the
combinations of following cases:

1. Test data: text files ( random or having pattern ), binary ( unstriped ),
compressed by another algorithm.

Then compare their compression time, the resources that they needs, compression ration.

I already did a small "research" on this topic and posted to tlug ( but onone had replied ).

Dig tlug archive or search my blog ( http://360.yahoo.com/vuhung16 )

gl hfa,

VH