Re: [tlug] RE: Secession . . . . . (was Re: Make Your Own Custom Locale)

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, burlingk@example.com wrote:

The Quebecois (Not to be confused with Quebec) are a pain in the @%$!.

Well, somewhat. On the other hand, they seem to keep themselves under control, more or less. (Do remember it was Pierre Trudeau, a Quebecois himself, who called out the army to supress the Front de liberation du Quebec when they got a bit uppity in back in 1970.)

And they provide plenty of material for amusement. I'm particularly
fond of the Royal Canadian Air Farce sketch about Bill 101, where the
poor old English pub owner in Montreal is forced to translate his menu
into French, and receives "help" from the Language Police in doing so.
Translating "toad in the hole" as "crapeaud dans la crevasse" is a
stroke of brilliance, not to mention a legitimate comment on English pub
food.

But best of all, they provide a good and constant reminder that English
speakers, despite our strange domination of the world, ain't exactly
the only ones out there, and aren't always loved by everyone. Quebec
provides a useful service to Canada by keeping the English speakers
from getting too big for their britches. Having grown up in Edmonton,
Alberta, I saw how easily that can happen.

cjs