Re: [tlug] WiFi considerations

Josh Glover wrote:
On 13/07/07, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:

Ignorance is no defence in a court of law.

Now I imagine that you or I would have a harder time with that defence, given what we do for a living. But still; I think the prosecutor would have to prove that it was *you* committing the crime, not just your equipment being used. After all, in the US where owning a gun is legal, you cannot be charged with a crime if that weapon is used in a murder unless they can prove you dunnit. Or unless you happen to be Not White...
Oh contrare .... while owning a gun is legal in NYS.

You can still be charged with a crime if your weapon was used in the commission of a crime due to your own negligence. IE leaving it unsecured, like in your car with the windows down and in plain site. But only a drunk fool would do such a thing. A drunk fool driving his BMW who just decided to pop into a club on a hot summers night. Sadly the results were as follows.

1. Gun was used in the commission of 2 armed robberies and later recovered when the suspect (who was convicted and was white) was arrested. I think if I remember he got 5 years because he never actually showed the gun he just said he had one in his pocket.

2. When asked where he got the gun he said and I quote "I found it in the console of some guys car w/ the windows down and console open."

3. When tracked down the gun owner stated "Oh is that where it is? I have have been looking for it." WTF? His statement later went on to say he was drinking and club hopping with some friends (Officer did not ask who was driving probably on purpose cause it would have caused all kinds of other work for him to do) and it was hot and there was a parking attendant (the robber) so he didn't think he needed to lock his car.

4. Mr BMW guy lost his gun license and was forced to forfeit all of his fire arms and pay a 500 dollar fine and do some community service. Which in my opinion was sad You would think a guy in possession of 2 lethal weapons while intoxicated would have gotten stiffer sentence, but meh he was white and had a very good IE:well connected, lawyer.

But I digress I do not know of any open WIFI that could cause as much damage as car or weapon or a Glock 19.

Just a clip from the long story of why I decided to work on computers instead of with people......

E./