Re: [tlug] "Locale" urrrgh

On 12/07/07, Brian Chandler <brian@example.com> wrote:

<rant>What idiotic nonsense! I do not _have_ a "locale" - I live in
Japan, I am a UK citizen, I read English, Japanese, and music (not in
that order), I drive on the left, usually, here, I handle three
currencies normally, I write dates in the ISO standard format, I write
sqrt(2) as 1.414... and my hair parts on the right.</rant>

I agree. I get ticket at applications that do not let me control my date formats irrespective of my locale. I prefer YYYY/mm/dd, not the US's idiotic mm/dd/YYYY and the Euro Zone's unfortunate dd/mm/YYYY (only unfortunate that the US pissed in the pool with their moronic format). I set my locale to en_UK or _IE so that spell-checking works the way I expect, but I like the JP dates: YYYY年mm月dd日. Just too bad everyone cannot read those three simple kanji. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh