Re: [tlug] Re: [BOOKMARK] Bourne shell scripting tutorial

On 12/07/07, Nguyen Vu Hung <vu-hung@example.com> wrote:

The power of Bourne shell and other shell scripting languages roots
to other command line tools like grep, sed, awk ...

Yes. That is, in a word, The Unix Way, or the Tao of Unix Programming, if you will (and ESR will, believe you me!). ;)

What they can do is quite limited.

I guess you and I disagree on the definition of "limited". :)

I know some Java gurus convert shell scripts to Java
using known classes. They key is regular expression.

Sure, but why would you do that? The JVM is even slower than the shell! ;)

/me ducks and covers

--
Cheers,
Josh