Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:26:53 +0200,
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote
in <20070709102653.322a6513.gstewart@example.com>

> But the analogy is flawed right from the outset.
>
> IE is deeply embedded into the O/S and the GUI. Basically, it
> can't be removed because there are so many other things
> dependent on it. The "webserver in the O/S" is a non-problem
> in that it can be uninstalled with no ill effect on the rest
> of the system and a replacement installed.

My argument with this has not changed in almost ten years.
IE IS a part of Windows 98 and later.  It IS integrated
into the operating system on a very intimate level.  It
IS superior to the version of explorer.exe that was used
with windows 95 and earlier.

With that said, the original argument that people gave was
that Microsoft was attempting to prevent people from using
other web browsers with Windows.  This is not the case.  In
fact, due to how well Microsoft Windows programmers communicate
and cooperate across projects, Firefox and Netscape have
run better than IE on every version of Windows since 98SE.

:P

Install and run whatever you want, it will probably out perform
IE as a web browser.  As a file browser, and windows Shell, IE
is still desirable.  Now of course with Vista, that may no longer
be the case, as I do not know what Aero is based off of. ^^;

---
Ken