Re: [tlug] Linux Distro Choices [was Re: Denshi Jisho]

Hello all, just thought I'd share the descision about which distro to
use for the new jisho.org server (which was delivered last friday).

First I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions. I tried a few
distros in Parallels (virtualization software for Mac OS X) to see how
they worked.

Arch Linux was very lean and nice. Definitely gave me a good
impression - I'll be keeping it for experimenting. The only thing that
I could find as a downside was that MeCab[1] wasn' available as a
package. Although it compiled without problem standalone, so that was
essentially a non-problem ...

Gentoo I never got to run. I probably made a typo during the install
process (which proved a good learning resource), but it could also be
the virtualization software - or a combination. I'll see if I can get
it running later.

Debian was Debian, which is nice. I've used it a little before and the
good impression from that time stands.

But after talking it over with a few friends who will be using the box
as well, we descided to keep with FreeBSD since it's what we all use
on other machines, and for the sake of quick deployment (not having to
get used to a new way of doing things in Linux).

Thanks again. I hope to have the new server up and serving jisho.org this week.

[1] Japanese morphological analyzer, like Chasen. http://mecab.sourceforge.net/