Re: [tlug] Efficiently executing a cron job on my webhosting server

> Also, I tried to simply access the PHP script directly (without
> wget), because some information I read said that it would be possible
> if "php was installed as a cgi". However, this doesn't seem to be
> true on my webhost (assuming I tried to access it in the right way).

Usually typing "php -v" at the commandline will tell you; if not found
it means it is not installed. Not all web hosting services install the
commandline version.

> I changed the permissions to 777 just to get it working. But what is
> the most appropriate permission setting for a PHP script I'm
> intending to execute this way?

If the cron job runs as your user (very likely) you can use chmod 700.
If the same file also needs to be read by the web server you need to use
755.

Darren