Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:08:10 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

>  > Why give away code to others and allow them to make huge money from
>  > your generosity-without some code turned back over?)
>
> Because if you are prepared to demand "some code turned back over",
> then it's not "generosity", it's a discriminatory demand for payment
> in kind.

The GPL is only demanding code be turned back over if a modified
version of the software is released. A non-coder end-user can use it
freely, no strings attached.

> Consider also why companies like IBM and Sun use copyleft.  They may
> very well be partly altruistic in releasing open source, but the
> business logic for copyleft is clear: it's not to ensure that we can
> have their code and its derivatives unto the Nth generation; it's to
> ensure that anything we produce that can drive a silver stake into the
> heart of the Redmond werewolf will not be available for that werewolf
> to take use under its current business model.

And the problem with that is....? That very same Redmond werewolf has
clearly shown its vampiric colours before now (command-line ftp.exe
anyone?) and I can easily understand anyone not wishing to feed the
werewolf's cash-cow with their time and effort.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Microsoft Palladium: "Where the hell do you think YOU'RE going today?"