Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

On 6/25/07, Phillip Tribble <phillip.tribble@example.com> wrote:
So please state your Desktop Environment,
I am sure I will find a new one to try based off of all the posts!

Well I usually use Fluxbox. I hate heavy graphic environments. But I can say that the 90% of the time I use a terminal and firefox... I was using Gnome some years ago until I realized that it damaged seriously my neurons becoming at every version "more simple..." So I switched to KDE and I got really satisfied. I tried enlightenment too but then I got bored about so much colors, animations, shadows, menus and I thought "Why do I have to spend resources to have an animation of an icon? I appreciate that graphic behavior only 1/2 second? or less?" So in that moment I got illuminated... and I realized "what do I use the 90% of my time?" Read and answer emails, browse internet, type in a terminal. So why do I need a colored and animated graphic environment?

So I recommend Fluxbox or Blacbox or something like that.
Or as Stephen said X-Emacs! You can have almost all you need with it...

Do you know CDE? It's nice! I think there is a port to Linux too but
I'm not sure:

http://xwinman.org/

Cheers.

     -Pietro