Re: [tlug] [OT?]A Hard Drive Question

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:26:17 +0900 burlingk@example.com wrote:

> Has anyone ever formatted an external USB hard drive with anything other
> than FAT32?

Yes, I've done so.

When I say USB hard drive, I am referring to regular
IDE hard drive (either 3.5" or laptop size) used with USB to
IDE adapter.

> Is it possible to format one using EXT3 or similar?

Yes, I've formatted _partitions_ on USB hard drives with ext3.

> If so, are there any benefits to doing so?

Yes.

Would you also be using said USB hard drive with Linux?

> I know that at the very least, it would make the drive harder to use
> with Windows. :P

Certainly, ext3 is harder to use with Windows than vfat.

Jim