Re: [tlug] Converting my friend to Ubuntu Linux on a Powerbook

> The thing is, I was sure that Ubuntu could be installed on a Mac.
> However, I can't find the install discs for Mac on their web site. I
> was sure that installing Linux on a Mac required a special install
> disc designed for Mac.
>
> Am I wrong about that? Can I just use the regular install CD?

Dave,

The most important question that needs to be asked at the outset is: is
it a so-called Old-World Mac or a New-World Mac.  The difference is in
the ROM related to booting.  Can't remember the details, but bottom
line: installing on Old-World machines can be extremely difficult, and
in some cases simply won't work.  I learned this by making the mistake
of buying (and in hindsight paying too da*n much for) a used G3
Powerbook a while back, thinking I could always install Linux on it.

Turned out it was a G3 Series PDQ (very similar to WallStreet), which
was the *very last* of the Old World Powerbooks :-( I found web sites
(google around and you'll find them) that described a complex procedure
to go through to install Linux - I was trying Ubuntu PPC, which in
theory should work fine - and followed the instructions to the T.

Didn't work. Still not sure what I'm going to do with my doorstop.  If
the Mac in question is Old-World, I'd say don't even bother. WAY WAY too
much potential trouble for your friend, even if it you did manage to
get it to install.

Find out the *exact* Powerbook model and we can go from there.

Dave