Re: [tlug] Giving a program priority briefly

> Speaking of which, what are some good ways to test program performance?
> What sort of test applications are out there?

Well, that was the start of this thread :-).

I've been getting on well using "time": if I see a run my program only
got 80% CPU then I take the result with a grain of salt, and run it
again as root using nice -n -20 (which still doesn't give me 100% CPU,
even for just 4.5s of run time, but usually gives me 98% or so).

What kind of program did you have in mind? E.g. a scientific app I'd
test as above, but a TCP/IP server I might test by seeing how many
simultaneous test clients I can connect, etc.

Darren