Re: [tlug] lvm volume with no volume group

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:59:30PM +0900, Shawn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a physical volume with no volume group.
>
> # /sbin/pvscan -n
>   WARNING: only considering physical volumes in no volume group
>   PV /dev/sdg2         lvm2 [148.95 GB]
>   Total: 1 [148.95 GB] / in use: 0 [0   ] / in no VG: 1 [148.95 GB]
>
> Can I just create a volume group -- for example:
> and then activate it:
> or add it:
[snip]

> I don't wish to reformat it or otherwise lose data stored on the volume
> if possible.

    I'm confused.  If it has data on there but it is not reporting any
volume groups then perhaps it was one disk that was part of a larger volume
group at one point?  If that's the case you need to add it back to that volume
group and extract the data or else I believe the operation you are suggesting
will nuke the data that is already on there.

Alain