[tlug] Correct particle to use

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:14:06 +0200
From: Niels Kobsch?tzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com>
Subject: Re: [tlug] tokyo linux developers?
To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>

> But you must always use the particle ã instead of ã for the
> potential
> form of a verb. Hence æãèã but æãèãã ("read a
> book" versus "able to
> read a book", respectively).

I think that is wrong - I'm quite sure (and "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" from The Japan Times seems to say the same at page 553ff. which is about the potential form) that particle usage is the same and that depends on the verb (åãã is used with ã while you'll say æãèãã) or the usage (like the difference in ã/ãèã)

Niels

Niels seems to indicate that ããis the correct particle (åèïto use based on an entry in a dictionary. However, when I have a question about Japanese grammar, I plug the possibilities into Google and let mostly native speakers "vote" for whichever expression they think is appropriate. Since grammar rules change over time and reflect a kind of consensus of native speakers, I think this is a good method. For example if you enter

æãèãã

into Google you get 71,000 hits.

Howver, it you put

æãèãã

into Google you get 211,000 hits.

So contrary to what "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" says
about using the ããparticle with èãã, I bet you can find many native
speakers who would argue that ããis the appropriate particle to use
in this situation. Incidentally, you get similar results if you plug the
"masu" form instead of the plain form into Google.

Don