Re: [tlug] contribution to F/OSS community

Alain Hoang wrote:
Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:

Hi,

Let's think of a situation:

I can't write code and I can't do test so F/OSS project out there
won't seems to need me. Plus, I can't write ( written ) English well
so documetation is also impossible.

[snip]

- What can I contribute to the community then? Do they need and be able to use my pictures some where?

I'm sure Wikipedia could always use more help to add more entries if your native language is not English.

- In that case, what kind of license should I apply to my pictures? Is there anything like L/GPL appliable to pictures?

Have you ever thought of looking at the Creative Commons License for pictures? [1] Seems more applicable in this situation than something like the uh... MIT license.

Taking pictures is a huge community contribution. And it's a lot of fun, too. :) I've taken thousands of images of various community events, and as Alain suggests, I license them all under cc:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/deed.en-us

What's cool is that they start showing up in presentations and in blogs all over the place.

Jim
--
Jim Grisanzio http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris