[tlug] Japanese input into Java?

TLUG,

I have a Java program (Zend Studio 5.5) that I want to be able to input Japanese text into.

So far as I can tell, Java does not seem to work with UIM/Anthy, at least not by default.

After some discussion with Zend technical support, it seems the issue might be that my "Java Locale" needs to be set to Japanese. That was how they phrased it, anyway.

But after looking on the web a bit, I can't find a clear explanation of how to set the locale for Java. Or even what the local settings would do. For example, if I set my Java locale to Japan, will that make all interfaces in Java programs to be in Japanese?

I'm trying to do in Java what I do with pretty much all other programs. Maintain my English interface, but input Japanese when needed by activating UIM/Anthy via keyboard shortcut.

Is there some special set up I need to do for Java? Is that kind of set up possible?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04