Re: [tlug] Ubuntu / EPIA / Media Player

On Mon, 7 May 2007 00:15:35 +0900 (JST)
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> 1. It's very resource intensive; it really crawls on an 800 MHz VIA CPU.
> It's probably doing a lot more stuff than my typical NetBSD setup (where
> I use fvwm2), but it doesn't feel anywhere near as snappy.

Well... Blame yourself. You used a _desktop_ distro.

> 2. The dmesg sucks: it's hideously verbose, gives you a lot of crap
> that's extremely low-level debugging information ("sanitize start",
> "Dentry cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)") and
> doesn't even bother to give you things such as the CPU ID string.

dmesg is the wrong tool. dmesg prints the kernel internal message
buffer which is used for debugging of problems of the system,
not to find out what hardware you have installed. And IMHO for me
the dmesg output is often to scarce.

What you were looking for is /proc/cpuinfo and lspci,
maybe also /proc/interrupts and /proc/io*

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred