Re: [tlug] Ubuntu / EPIA / Media Player

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Big mistake.  Ubuntu is for people who can spare more money than
brains.  You don't pay for Ubuntu, but you do pay for hardware that
could run MS Windows Vista without strain.  You can probably do a
little better with Kubuntu.  (KDE is a little better optimized than
GNOME, which is just an absolute pig.)

Hm. Nice to know. One of the reasons I'm using it is because a fellow NetBSD developer switched to it for his laptop, as well as my business partner. (It seems to run ok on his 1.8 GHz Pentium M with 2 MB of L2 cache...)

At any rate, I'm thinking that though it would be too heavy were this a
desktop system, it might not be a big problem in a "sort-of headless"
media server. We'll see.

Rhythmbox seems popular among the people I hang out with, but they're
not exactly the usual crowd.

I'm not exactly the usual crowd, either. I'll have a look at it; thanks.

> 3. No ssh server installed by default. Is it just me, or is that getting
> fairly silly?

This is Ubuntu's way of telling you that it is aimed at the kind of
user who thinks that installing the Norton viruschecker for Linux is a
way to achieve perfect security.

Heh.

cjs