Re: [tlug] Serious clock wrongness

Keith Bawden <keith@example.com>, 2007-04-03 14:09 +0900:

> >Any suggestions for how I can troubleshoot what exactly the
> >problem is and/or some (automated) workaround I can use to correct
> >the clock (other than manually running hwclock or whatever at
> >periodic intervals)?
>
> If you run ntpd it should detect (over time) how much and at what rate
> your clock is drifting - "natural drift". The daemon will then
> compensate for this and attempt to keep things synced.

Yeah, I had heard a rumber that it was supposed to do that. But
that rumor turns out to be well, a damn lie. Because I'm running
ntpd and it is not exercising the expected degree of discipline.
Meaning, my clock is still drifts off, like an aimless youth.
Perhaps the problem is just lack of ambition, or the classic "long
term loss of short term memory" syndrome that results from smoking
too much "Mary Jane".

> However, a drift of a few seconds every few minutes is odd - never
> seen it that bad... I would check with the Parallels people to see if
> this is a known issue...

I would suggest that I can save the time I would spend checking
with them by instead just imagining the variety of responses I
might get from them:

  "Nobody else has ever reported that problem."
  "Well, seems like something's wrong with your Linux VM."
  "If you run ntpd it should detect..."
  "Check the pockets of his jeans for Visine bottles."
  etc.