[tlug] USB drive speed

I tried formatting a 250GB hard disk that is connected by USB2 and it
took an awful long time (then I forgetfully shut down the machine before
it had finished, so I'm back where I started...).

Is there a way to see if a drive is using USB 1 vs. USB 2?

However it seems to only be half the speed of an IDE drive, so perhaps
I'm just being too impatient?

# hdparm -t /dev/hda    (IDE drive)
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  170 MB in  3.02 seconds =  56.35 MB/sec

# hdparm -t /dev/sda    (USB drive)
/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   82 MB in  3.05 seconds =  26.85 MB/sec

Darren

--
Darren Cook
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese free dictionary)