Re: [tlug] Credit card processing in Japan

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Darren Cook wrote:

I wrote ruby code to deal with this at Tabemo, including a functional
test framework that simulated their server.

BTW, Vertrirans have a test server, which is what we connect to from the test site. You have to use one of the special test credit card numbers, but other than that it seems fully functional.

Two notes about this:

1. Keep in mind that you need to have connectivity to this server, and
it needs to be up, it needs to be working as you expected it to when you
wrote the test, and it will be slower than running against a local test
server.

2. When using the test server, keep in mind that it's stateful; it keeps
track of transactions for about a month. If you run your test against
it with a particular transaction ID, whether the test server authorizes
the transaction or not depends on whether or not it's been previously
used with that transaction ID, and how long it's been since it was used
with that transaction ID. It does not depend on which developer uses
it; two separate developers running the exact same code and test suite
simultaneously may well receive two different results, resulting in one
test passing and the other failing.

Note that I'm not advocating against the use of this test server; I'm
just pointing out that there are some very useful tests you can do
without it, and anything you can economically test without having to
deal with it, you probably should.

cjs