[tlug] Making sure linux headers and sources are all lined up

TLUG,

I was recently installing updated LIRC drivers, and I got this error:

configure: error: *** you need to have the Linux kernel source installed for this driver

So I did this:

sudo apt-get install kernel-source

... and ran the configure script again. Same error.

I may be on the wrong track, but I'm thinking that over time I've mucked about with kernel headings and source and stuff that I don't know if I have the right ones that match my kernel, or that they are in the right place.

Is there a way I can rationalize the system just to make sure my install environment is sane and consistent with my kernel?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft