Re: [tlug] Fully DHCP router? (Maybe OT)

Edward,
Can you elaborate

Well, first, the reason I wasn't able to log into the router they provided me was to do with my local network settings.

Once past that, I was able to log into the router at 192.168.0.1. From there, I found I could actually change from DHCP to assigned addresses, and then assign port mapping.

So as it turns out, nothing that unusual is happening. The router works almost like any other router.

Two things I don't know:

I don't know how they authenticate me as a user on their system, since the router doesn't take a username and password as far as I can tell.

I don't know whether or not I can opt to use my own router in place of theirs. Since I don't know how they're authenticating me, I don't know if they've physically placed some kind of identifier onto their router.

But since I got it working again, my motivation to get to the bottom of those questions has diminished. I'm not paying anything for the router they provide, so the worst of it is that my own router is going to get shelved for now.

As for static IP addresses, I can't tell you for sure about that. But I would really, really doubt that they offer that kind of service. All their plans seem targeted at consumers who don't have highly technical needs.

Hope that helps.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft