Re: [tlug] ruby and python in Japan

Well, some random thoughts on this:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

PHP:
   Never used it, no comment.  Maybe, see "Perl"?

Lots of nasty code written in it, lots of backwards compatability options that destroy security but have to be turned on for certain libraries, and in general a configuration management nightmare.

Ruby, Python, Scheme:
   Efficient interpreted languages...

I don't think I'd class Scheme in with Ruby and Python. Scheme can be compiled without difficulty (unlike Ruby, which appears to me to be uncompilable), and I'd understood that mzscheme was a pretty good compiler.

Perhaps more significantly, Scheme is far more consistent than Ruby:
it's a small kernel of stuff that makes very good sense. Ruby has bags
hanging off the side of it all over the place, compared to Scheme,
though Perl is even worse in that respect. And Scheme has macros, which
appears to me to be quite an important distinction. Meta-programming in
Ruby is possible, but painful and will never perform well.

Scheme suffers from being a Lisp.

Boy, do I know some people who would take exception to that! Being a Lisp, even to a mostly-non-Lisper like me, seems to me to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

Haskell, ML, Erlang:
   Modern functional languages.  Don't know ML and Erlang, but
   Haskell is compiled and very heavyweight.  Great for abstraction,
   incredibly powerful, but mind-bending.

I'm not sure I'd class ML as a "modern" functional language in the way Haskell is; after all, Haskell was very much designed to replace ML. Of course, if you consider OCaml to be an ML, that distinction narrows somewhat.

I'd probably taxonimize this with ML at the root of the tree, Erlang and
OCaml as close descendents, and Haskell rather further away from the
rest of them.

(un) Common Lisp:
   Rest in peace.

Oh, I don't know about that. For all the issues it has, it does have some very good points, too, from what I understand, such as the very large set of standard libraries. I think it actually could have been what Java is, had there been a freely available implemenation.

Javascript:
   A whole 'nuther smoke, this is (normally) a client-side
   interpreted language, heavily dependent on a standard DOM.  Ie,
   can be combined effectively with any of the above, which are
   server-side.

A reasonably nice language, and a perfect example of how lack of library standardization can kill a decent language.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs@??>        +81 90 7737 2974