Re: [tlug] ruby and python in Japan

> With all these comparisons between scripting & web application type
> languages, could some of you knowledge types throw in some commentary on PHP
> as well? I'd like to also see how it compares with the others. Is there some
> reason it's specifically not being mentioned?

It isn't being mentioned as someone said they didn't want a flame war
:-). PHP is my weapon of choice, obviously for web sites, but also for
i18n related scripts: the mbstring extension is good. In fact I use PHP
for almost anything, as I am most familiar with it :-). I switch to C++
where I need fine control over CPU or memory use.

PHP, ruby, python, java, javascript et al are all similar enough that
the choice should be made for political reasons (e.g. what the client
chooses, or what most programmers on the team are most comfortable with)
not for technical reasons. Well, maybe quality and quantity of available
libraries should help decide (that is why I decided on PHP years ago),
but I doubt "self.foo" vs. "this->foo" vs. "@example.com" will ever make a
notable difference to your productivity.

Darren