Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

Roger Markus wrote:
> There was an interesting post here recently about TV coverage of an
> office that had begun using Linux and OpenOffice.  It was a nice
> positive post that was immediately attacked by a prominent poster here
> who admits that (and this is copy-pasted) "I don't use OOo".  His
> major complaint seems to be the speed at which OpenOffice opens.  He
> claims it takes a very long time (if he doesn't use it, how does he
> know?), but I have found this not to be the case, even with fairly old
> machines.
>
> So I would like to ask the members of this group who *are* OpenOffice
> users to briefly state how long the program takes to open on their
> computers, particularly their Linux machines (it's not in dispute that
> OpenOffice is less than ideal on Macs, an apparently favorite machine
> of the man who admits."I don't use OOo").
>
> As for myself, the machine I'm writing this message with is as follows:
>
> P-III 1GHz, 512MB RAM
> 15 seconds to open OpenOffice Writer
>
> How about the other OpenOffice users in this group?  Lets get some
> *accurate* information posted about this!

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz 2G RAM

I use the 64bit version 2.0.4 and it takes about 10 seconds to load
1.5 seconds to open an application from the menu after

# ooffice2

I wouldn't run it on a machine with less then 1G of RAM but that goes
for ms office.  I suspect the problems people are having with oo are
mostly caused by lack of memory.  If you want to run office like
applications on low end machines go with gnumeric and abiword.  They
don't have the features of oo, mso but they are much leaner and cross
platform.

Edward