Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

Although I can't really be bothered to use a stopwatch to time the time it takes to open, I can say that it's fast enough that I don't really care.

I use OpenOffice exclusively now for all my writing and spreadsheet needs. Have done for about three years or more now. My girlfriend is now using it on her laptop without complaints. As mentioned before, a while back I was on a collaborative writing project where the four other writers in my team were all using Office, and we shared written documents (heavily formatted) and spreadsheets without them ever knowing I was in OpenOffice.

Before switching to OpenOffice, I had used MS Office for... a decade? Pretty much since it ever existed. And I'm perfectly happy with the switch because I can say with absolute assurance that while OpenOffice may not be perfect, MS Office is no standard to judge by. I've had my share of hair-pulling experiences trying to get Word to format a table, or trying to navigate the help files in Excel, and other annoyances.

Last translation company I worked at also was starting to use OpenOffice. Mainly because the boss was a cheapskate who liked the free-ness of it (although he was most likely using cracked copies of MS Office anyway). No problems there, either.

The one, and right now the only, deficiency that I wish could be solved in OpenOffice is that it can't utilize my printer's ability to print on both sides of a sheet of paper. But that may be a CUPS problem, I don't know.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that, as an end user who cares not for bench marks or obscure capabilities, there's ain't nothing wrong with OpenOffice. I dig it. See no reason why it can't be used for 99% of anything MS Office does, and in time, 100%.

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Kernel 2.6.17.7