[tlug] Keyboard mappings

TLUG,

Despite the recent troubles I had in going from Ubuntu 6.06 to 6.10, my Ubuntu machine is doing really well these days. With the printer now running smoothly, I can say without reservation that my Linux machine does everything my Windows machine ever did.

Well, actually I could go on and on with a scorecard comparison between the two operating systems, and Mac as well, but I won't. The point is that despite a couple of very minor differences, I think Ubuntu is giving me a much better user experience than Windows did.

Anyway, now I'm in the mood to try and solve some minor stuff that's been kind of bugging me for a while. The little issues that are just too unimportant when faced with things like setting up MySQL and getting the printer to work.

The first of these is some custom key mapping on the keyboard.

My keyboard has three keys that, so far as I know, aren't standard on every keyboard. One is "Sleep", one is "Wake Up/WWW", and the other is "Power".

I was surprised to discover a while back that they actually do pretty much what they say. Chalk one up for the people who make the keyboard drivers.

But I tend not to use them, because they don't behave quite how I'd hope.

The "Sleep" button seems to initiate a locked mode of the screen saver, so that if I press "Wake Up", I have to enter in a password.

I can see how some might dig this kind of security setting, but I really don't need it, and especially now for reasons to do with my MythTV usage, it would be ideal to have these buttons simply initiate these commands (which were given to me here on this list in another thread):

"Sleep" = xset dpms force off

"Wake up" = xset dpms force on

Of course, I went on the web to see how to go about this. I kind of thought there might be a UI interface for mapping keys to inputs.

No such luck, though. In "System->Preferences->Keyboard" I can change from one standard layout to another, but I can't edit specific keys.

Right below "Keyboard" on the Preferences menu is "Keyboard Shortcuts". This allows some mapping of various shortcuts to preset actions. But I can neither enter in a new non-standard key, nor enter in a new command.

It seems that there is some setting thing called "xmodmap" involved. However, this web site I read about it scares me by promising that it's complicated, and then delivers on that promise:
http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/X11/xmodmap.html

I thought I was almost saved by a little utility called "xkeycaps", but in none of the keyboard layouts that are included include the three keys that I want to get access to.

Hmm... Is this maybe going a little too deep?

Is there a straightforward way to access these two keys to edit what they do that I haven't discovered yet? Or is this something that is over my head?

Any advice or information much appreciated.

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Kernel 2.6.17.7