[tlug] dropping any IP that tries port 22?

Hi everyone,

I've been using knockd and running sshd on a nonstandard port now for a
while and it's been great. Logfiles are no longer filled up with script
kiddy hack attempts at port 22. However I was thinking I would like to be
more proactive, and instead set something up where anytime somebody hits
port 22 on my server it automatically bans them. The thinking behind this
is if they are knocking where they shouldn't, they are probably up to no
good.

I was thinking of running some other service on port 22 that would simply
write the IP address of anything that pinged it or whatever to a logfile,
then have fail2ban scan that logfile and ban all the IPs within
indefinately.

Anybody have any thoughts on what I could run that could create this kind
of logfile? Maybe this could be done with snort?

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen
Tokyo