Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding [SOLVED]

TLUG,

Here's a blast from the past. This thread had gone on for ages without a solution, despite a great deal of help from the TLUG list. It only stopped because I gave up trying to make it work. As far as I was concerned, my printer was basically not going to work with Ubuntu Dapper, period.

This was one of my motivations to move to Edgy (Ubuntu 6.10), despite the problems I had in upgrading (as described in another thread). I had reason to believe that CUPS and Edgy would be more friendly together and with my printer.

Happily, I can report that this turned out to be true, and after long last, I have printer support directly from Linux. I no longer have to fire up my VMWare/Windows in order to print things.

As an added bonus, the installation this time was smooth and painless.

For those interested, and hopefully as useful reference to those who may face similar issues, here is the list of instructions I made for myself, should I ever need to repeat the process (something I now do with every installation or upgrade).

How to install a Canon printer in Ubuntu (as of January 17, 2007):

1. Go to CUPS interface in browser:

http://localhost:631/

2. Delete any printers there. (This was necessary on my system as I had drivers from previous versions of Ubuntu/CUPS that had never worked.)

3. If asked for any passwords, use the login and password that are for the main account on the computer.

4. The instructions after this point were originally from the following web site, and modified here for my particular case:

http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/#canon

5. Open a command prompt. Edit the repository list here:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

6. Add the following line. This is specifically for Ubuntu (It also says for Edgy, 6.10, but may work for other Ubuntu versions):

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./

7. Update apt-get to use the new repository information:

apt-get update

8.Use the following install command:

sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj

9. Note that this will restart CUPS.

10. Go to CUPS interface in browser:

http://localhost:631/

11. Add a printer by clicking the "Add Printer" button.

12. Name, location, and description are all just whatever you want to call them. These are names for the user's convenience, not important system variables. I used:

Name: Canon
Location: Desktop

13. In the Device drop down menu, select the printer that matches yours. If all is going well, something fairly obvious should present itself. In my case, I chose:

Canon iP_3100 USB #1 (Canon iP_3100)

14. Select a driver from the list. I chose:

Canon PIXUS iP3100 Ver.2.50 (en)

15. Print a test page!

ï--
Dave M G