Re: [tlug] Xen advice, please: Wine is not Virtualization

burlingk@example.com wrote:

Xen, VMware, are virtual machines.  They emulate everything from the
ground up.  They do something totally different from WINE.  Basically
"WINE Is Not an Emulator", a virtual machine is. ^_^

No actually xen, does Paravirtualization[1]
http://www.xensource.com/xen/xen/paravirtualization.html

Where VMWare does full virtualization. Where as it tries to emulate every portion of the hardware.

Actually WINE is a emulator.
<quote wikipiedia [2]>
A *software emulator* allows computer programs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_program> to run on a platform (computer architecture <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_architecture> and/or operating system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system>) other than the one for which they were originally written.
</quote wikipiedia>

[1] Feel free to trounce me if I am wrong. I have only ever ran the add on virtualization not the Xen os itself. But I think the link is pretty clear.
[2] ya I know I quoted wikipiedia .... my TUBES are clogged up.

E./