Copyright Digression (Was: Re: [tlug] linux in Japanese schools)

This is actually a bit of a digression on copyright-related stuff; I'm
not sure yet how relevant it even is to the GNU licence discussion, on
which recent posts I am still contemplating. I do sense some potential
confusion here between copyright and licensing.