Re: [tlug] tv tuners question - conclusion (sort of)

On 25/12/06, Gerald Naughton <naughton123@example.com> wrote:
Hi Fergal

Nollaig shona dhuit ;->

:)

> Thanks for everyone's tips. I now have a nice little
> white box with a
> PVR-350 (thanks again Shawn). It's happily capturing
> Japanese TV.

Can you explain the capture card/memory that you use ?
Also does the japanese parents have ADSL and you plan
to download via that ?
I`ve few more irish guys that would be interested in
your result

It's a Hauppage PVR-350. There's 512M of memory and 250MB disk in the box and yes, they have jcom cable internet.

It's running Ubuntu and it took about 20-30 minutes to find this page

http://www.djlosch.com/post_retrieve.php?pid=70

and follow the instructions (with slight corrections, like fixing a
wget command). That got the ivtv stuff working without any hassle.

I don't plan on watching live TV with this as I suspect the connection
from Ireland to Japan would probably be a bit jumpy for that, I guess
I won't know until I try. Some sort of buffering would be needed,
maybe VLC would do the job, I'm not sure.

I'll be going home late next week so I'll know soon enough,