Re: [tlug] wiki

On 19/11/06, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

I think that the biggest worry seems to be recoverability in case of a
database crash.

I have been using MySQL for about seven years now, and have never suffered a database crash. In the same period, I have lost two hard drives. See where I am going with this?

If a person is really totally worried about that, it is probably
possible to create a script that semi-regularly dumps the databases
information out into a flat text file.  A second script of course would
be needed to turn that data back into a database if the need were to
arise.

mysqldump produces SQL as output, so you can even load it into a different database (once you have sed'd the SQL into compliance with the target database's featureset, of course).

The same interface that allows the wiki to interact with the database
server to begin with should allow for such a script.

Um... every database that I have ever used provides such an interface through client libraries. A database that cannot be interacted with is not much good to anyone, is it?

Another option however, is to simply back up a copy of the database
itself, and if the server moves to another box, use the same version of
the SQL  software.

Right. No reason that we would not include the MySQL files in the backup of Hikari that Mauro and I are implementing Real Soon Now(TM). :)

-Josh