Re: [tlug] wiki

Keith Bawden wrote:
The way I do this is to run a master and slave MySQL server (you can
run them on the same machine) and to backup the slave.

I then have a script that does the following (and more :)

1. Checks replication status
2. Stops replication
3. Dumps DB to text file.
4. Re-enables replication
5. Checks if slave catches up to master.
6 Logs and reports backup status.

This way there are no issues with backing up a live server, or the
problems associated with locking tables or records during a backup.
Another bnus is that you can also take the slave completely offline
and do a backup of the binary tables and log files if need be.

I didn't ever think of putting them on the same machine. I wonder if would be effective to bring one up, start replication, wait until it finishes and then bring it back down, backup and wait till the next day? Although I wonder how intrusive mysqldump is to the system. I should do some investigating. Interesting thought. I'll have to ponder it more.