[tlug] Re: CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Debian 3.3.2

Bart Mathias <mathias@example.com> wrote:
>> Now that you point it out, that "Google for: firefox print postscript"
>> is soooo obvious!
>>
>> Certainly others have had similar problems.  The first idea I got for
>> messing with about:config neither fixed the problem nor ruined Firefox,
>> which is OK.
>>
>> I think that I will find this bit from one of documents that came up
>> useful, once I figure out exactly what it all means:

>> Add
>>
>> export GS_LIB=/u/bh/fonts/truetype/;
>>
>> to your .profile. In your Mozilla profile directory, create user.js if
>> it's not there (don't edit prefs.js directly) and put
>>
>> pref("print.postscript.nativefont.zh-CN", "Song-Medium-GBK2K-H");
>>
>> in it. You still can't print directly from Mozilla though, because the
>> Chinese fonts are not embedded in the PS file generated by Mozilla. You
>> need to use ps2ps to transform the PS file and send the transformed one
>> to the printer. If you print Chinese a lot, which I doubt, you might
>> want to write a script as your printing command for the browser.

I'm not sure this works very well. I tried ps2ps on the file you sent
me.  It produced a smaller .ps with the text embedded as bitmaps. Sadly
they are almost illegible - fragmented and irregular.

>> One puzzle is that this is from June 2004.  I think I was already able
>> to just go ahead and print Japanese and Chinese from Mozilla then;
>> why these guys have trouble?

I suspect the way Mozilla was coding was fine with your printer, but
no good with their's.

>> I have looked at the ps2ps manual--that's the main thing I didn't
>> understand in the above quote--but it doesn't look likely to help.  I'll
>> get back to it tomorrow or Thursday.
>>
>> And if that doesn't work, I'll come crying back to you on Friday.

By all means try the ps2ps, but I suspect that it's not going to help a
lot.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554