Re: [tlug] Subdirectory of /home on separate volume?

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 01:01:34PM +0900, Tenga Wataru wrote:
> On one volume, I have my /, /home, /usr and /swap directories taking up
> the entire disk. I would like to create another Linux partition on a
> separate disk, for music files.
>
> Can I designate that partition as a subdirectory of my /home,
> e.g., /home/music? If so, when setting up that partition, should I name

	Sure why not?   UNIX admins have been using this technique for
years to make one filesytem tree from root look homongeneous even if there
are a bazillion disks hanging off here or there and mapped into different
pieces of the filesystem tree.  With hard drive capacities the way they
are today, this isn't AS necessary but it does help when it comes time to
migrate data around.

Here's a snippet on how you could do it.

>From the CLI:
1. Insert USB disk (Or something else)
2. dmesg and find device name (probably /dev/sda if you have no other devices)
3. fdisk /dev/sda --> Create partitions as you please
4. mount -t <my_fs_choice_rules> /dev/sda{1,2,3,etc} /home/music
5. df -kh  (Check it's working?)

If 1-5 worked then it should be not that hard to manipulate your /etc/fstab
and add an entry for /dev/sda1 to be mounted as /home/music

> its directory as /home/music, or should it be simply /music, and
> defined as a /home subdirectory in some other way?? Or is there a

	I keep tackling this question myself and the answer is it depends
on your setup.  Let's say you have a gigantic music directory and you want
it to be shared.  In this case setting it up under /music then making a
symlink to /home/music might make sense.
	If you want to keep everything under /home so you only have to
backup one directory then that's understandable.

	But this is really a matter of policy, I think.  I like keeping
my /home directory clean of multimedia files as they can get very large
but this is a personal preference.

> better way to tackle this issue? If I decide to create a partition for
> music files that any user can access, what directory name should I use?

Cheers,
Alain