Re: [tlug] [hardware] 802.11g PCI card

I've recently been trying and buying wireless cards so I'll share what
I've (re)learned.

Just last week I purchased a corega CG-WLCB54GL2 and a linksys
WPC54G-JPV5. The corega has the ralink chipset in it and has a linux
driver released by the chip manufacturer.. that's nice but there's a
bug in the driver that prevents "carefree use"... The linksys,
unfortunately has no native linux support and I have to rely on the
windows driver and ndiswrapper ... it's functional but I'm not really
happy about using the windows driver.

I would probably suggest a card that uses the prism chipset as it's
been around the longest and seems to have the best support.  Make sure
you know what chip is in the card and if it has linux support before
you buy it. Often trying to buy a cheap wifi card can get you an
expensive paperweight.

Also, there's quite a few pages up listing chipsets, driver
availability, and the interface of your choice.. like this one..
googling for linux wifi should get you the info you need (or just
click this link )

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_alles.php?

-e