Re: [tlug] Novel embraces Microsoft

Josh Glover writes:

 > "I am handing you this foo, but I still own *everything* about it. You
 > are simply carrying it, and I may do anything I want to it,

Nope.

 > including destroying it,

Nope.

 > taking it back,

Nope.

 > changing it without your knowledge or permission..." and so on, ad
 > nauseum.

Nope.  That is what "doctrine of first sale" is all about.

You can write a license like that, of course (Keith provided a sample
:-), but you can't enforce it under patent or copyright law.  It needs
to be a contract.  But of course the rights referred to as "reserved"
are those that are granted under copyright law.