Re: [tlug] Novel embraces Microsoft

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:57:21 +0900, <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

> Could they really target SAMBA without targeting all programmers in
> general? I have not looked at the source code for SAMBA, but does it
> implement anything file system related directly in the code, or does
> it make calls to the OS to manipulate the file system like most
> programs do?

Not filesystem-related, but network protocol-related. Remember that
SAMBA was originally an open-source implementation of Microsoft's
(proprietary and presumably patented) SMB protocol for file- and
printer-sharing.

> Think about it.  How many programs are there that let you access
> files over a network?  More importantly, how many programs are there
> that have no interaction with the file system?

No, the more important question is, how many of them emulate a patented,
proprietary protocol to do their job?

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Let's call it an accidental feature.