Re: [tlug] alc.co.jp webservice ?

Ian MacLean <imaclean@example.com>, 2006-11-02 10:32 +0900:

> I've been working on a simple personal dictionary app using edict and I
> was thinking it could be useful to optionally grab the results from
> alc.co.jp/eijiro. Does anyone know if there is a webservice interface
> to it ? or failing that a perl script to scrape the html ? Just thought
> I'd check here before I write such a beast myself.

I don't think there's any API for it. Dunno about Perl script
either. But I do notice that it seems to support a GET interface,
with a query string that includes three parameters:

  http://www2.alc.co.jp/ejr/index.php?word_in=FOO&word_in2=%82%A9%82%AB%82%AD%82%AF%82%B1&word_in3=PXawEWi72KXCKoa0J

It works even if you don't specify the "word_in2" param. The
"word_in3" parameter seems to be required and looks to be a
session ID, but it seems to work regardless of what value you
specify for it.

So, looks like to get the results, you can do the following:

  http://www2.alc.co.jp/ejr/index.php?word_in=foo&word_in3=BAR
  http://www2.alc.co.jp/ejr/index.php?word_in=ほげ&word_in3=BAR

If you do put together some kind of script to scrape the results,
please share it with the list. I'd like to use it myself :)

  --Mike