Re: [tlug] Looking for advice on the best way to rebuild a gentoo box

Alain Hoang writes:
 > Romans Malinovskis wrote:

 > > For a box over 1y old without updates i would be scared myself to do
 > > regular upgrade, however gentoo is much nicer than binary distributions
 > > when it comes to upgrades.

 > 	I'm not sure I fully agree with this.  Debian has been very well
 > behaved when it comes to upgrades if you're following a more
 > conservative branch.

I've never gone a year without updates, but I have gone 3-6 months
with Debian sid.  Haven't had a serious dpkg wedgie in a millennium
(that's at least 6 years :-)[1], although upgrades will sometimes
block on an AWOL maintainer for a week or two.  Even the x.org X11R7
modular upgrade went fairly smoothly.  (I will admit that I waited two
server updates before restarting the server. ;-)

I'm not saying that I don't get the usual cohort of package-specific
screwage in the unstable branch, just that updating 250 packages is
hardly more scary than updating 3.

Footnotes:
[1]  Oh, did I forget the C&C warning?  Sorry, Josh.