Re: [tlug] Open Source Licenses

On 01/11/06, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

Which open source license does everyone prefer?

I agree with Stephen, by and large, in that I use an upstream-compatible licence when there is one. If left to my own devices, I use BSD-2 AKA "New BSD" licence.[1]

The reason I do this is I want to impose as few restrictions as
possible on people who want to use my code.

If I ever write a "killer app" (as opposed to the library code and
short, Unix-like utils that I typically write), I may well choose
something very much like GPLv2, because I *want* the viral approach;
something like "use my code only for the good of Mankind". :)

But in 99% of all cases, I use BSD-2 for my stuff. And the Creative
Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 licence[2] for my documentation
stuff. [3] [4]

-Josh

[1] http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/