Re: [tlug] How to throttle the network speed

Peter Van der Weeen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to test out our new website over a slow(er) connection.
> Does anyone know if/how I can throttle the download speed from our
> webserver?
> The website is running on Debian/Rails/lighttpd 1.4.12.
>
> Peter

Hello,

I can't help you with lighthttpd, but for what it is worth you can use
mod_cband to throttle connections on a per "user basis" when using Apache.
http://cband.linux.pl/

Once you have the module installed throw something like this in your
config file you you will be done:

CBandRemoteSpeed 2000kbps 3 3

This will limit the connection speed to 2000kbps, 3 request/s, 3 open
connections.

What I have found with mod_cband is that there seems to be a slight
pause or very slow initial connection for the first second or so when
downloading a large file. This slow down is not usually noticeable but
can cause some unexpected results when using it conjunction with video
or audio streams.

Regards, Keith