Re: [tlug] hard drive shock resiliance and health - linux tools?

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 17:17 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Matt Gross wrote:
>
> > ... I ... accidentally bumped my server.
> > It rocked back and forth a little bit, but did not fall over.
>
> > I'm not seeing any errors and everything is working fine.
>
> Consider yourself lucky. Declare victory and run away.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.  I checked my logs and the
S.M.A.R.T. info and everything looks fine.

> > RAID5
>
> Check your RAID status tools also. There are plenty of folks who
> throw money at stuff, without getting the full benefit.
> There are folks who pay more for RAID, but never monitor it.
> So when (not if) a drive dies, they don't notice it until
> another drive dies, then they are seriously screwed.
>
> By the way, do you keep backups?

Hmmm..., backups?  Isn't that why I've chosen RAID5?  If I was to backup
my 2.1TB RAID5 disk array, can someone recommend a low cost backup
method?