Re: [tlug] freeze on AMD64 Dual Opteron server

Godwin Stewart writes:
 > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:45:32 +0300, Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 > > 3. Run a full memory check with memtest86.
 >
 > FWIW I've always found memtest86 to be pretty useless. Each and every
 > time I've used it to diagnose faulty RAM, it always found that the RAM
 > was fine, but problems ceased when I replaced the RAM.

Maybe the guy who installed the OEM RAM didn't use as big a hammer as
you do?<wink>

FWIW (back to subject), I'm seeing lockups in the network driver on
big fast transfers.  Some of the RING sites will give me 4MB (that's a
big B!) transfer rates.  That's so bloody fast I don't even mind
interrupting out of "emerge --update world" a dozen times or so for
the big ticket items....  I've been assuming there's some 64-bit
uncleanness in the TCP/IP stack or network driver somewhere.

Linux uwakimon 2.6.18-rc3 #1 SMP Fri Aug 4 14:40:13 JST 2006 x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 265 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

(actually a 2x2 = 4 core system)

Tyan 2895 mobo nVidia (yes, I know, but the Tyan *screams* otherwise)
chipset, 1Gbit dual networking.